5.29.2010

Frosting the tops of cookies

This month's technique layout was to use lots of color! Reds, blues, greens, & yellow. The colors black & white were to be used to pull the layout together with minimal use. I matted the Kraft cardstock with black cardstock and painted a light covering of gesso over the Kraft. I also used white thread as a border around the Kraft cardstock using my sewing machine. I then took strips of paper by three different collections from GCD Studios and sewed strips of them down in the bottom half of the layout. I adhered my photo above the strips. My title went over the photo – keeping the same horizontal design of the strips of paper. The chipboard hearts were placed over the strips of paper bringing the bright, colorful pops of color to the layout. And lastly, I stamped two sentiments below the strips of paper.




To create the chipboard hearts, I used the Chip Art Tool. First, I painted four of the hearts in red, green, blue, & yellow with Ranger Dabbers. I let them dry completely and then covered the tops in a thick layer of molding paste – kind of like frosting the tops of cookies :-) I left a little border around the edges. This had to completely dry since I was going to be “stamping” the little heart images in the paste. It took a good hour to completely dry. Once it was dried, the molding paste was quite flexible and would easily hold the little heart images in it. I took the small heart stamp and using my mallet pounded the images into all four hearts. As you can see, the images appeared quite clearly! After stamping the heart images into all of the hearts, I then liberally sprayed each heart with a corresponding color of Glimmer Mist. It sunk into the areas that were stamped and once it was dry, it had a very pretty, shimmery sheen to it! I let those completely dry and then simply placed the on my layout! This is another great way to use the Chip Art Tool!












SUPPLIES USED:
1. GCD Studios:
Chipboard Hearts
Chip Art Tool, Mallet, Acrylic Block
Artsy Urban Patterned Paper
Homespun Chic Patterned Paper
Ava Collection Patterned Paper
2. Ranger Paint Dabbers
Clover
Watermelon
Pool
Sunshine Yellow
3. Molding Paste
4. Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist
5. Digital Vintage Photo Frame - Kitschy Digitals by Danielle Thompson
6. Kraft Cardstock
7. Bazzill Cardstock
8. Gesso
9. Stazon Ink - Black
10. Technique Tuesday Stamps
11. Label - Paper Source
12. Doodlebug Alphabet
13. Basic Grey Alphabet

Melissa Mann

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The winner of our Butterfly stitcher from Artsy Urban is....

Jen said...

Love butterflies & the Artsy Urban collection!!


9 comments: